You can have the things you love, you just need to slightly modify them. With tacos I like to add veggies and beans to get “more bang for your buck”. By adding veggies you add vitamins and fiber, as for beans they add protein and fiber and fill you up.
Not only will you drop calories with these healthy fillers you will have more food and can feed more people, or have leftovers. With the fixings I have done just a few swaps, I think you will all be surprised how yummy this all is and think twice next time you pass a Taco Bell.
What you will need to feed 8-
For the tacos:
- 1 package of lean ground turkey
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 white or yellow onion
- 1 15 oz can of pinto or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 8 low fat whole wheat tortillas, medium size
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the toppings:
- Good salsa, try your farmers market or make your own
- Fresh jalapeno sliced
- Sliced tomatoes
- Shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce
- Greek Yogurt, use in place of sour cream, and try to skip the cheese all together you may not miss it with the Greek yogurt and a large dollop of salsa
- 1 avocado thinly sliced- add 45 calories
- ⅛ cup low-calorie sharp cheddar cheese- add 50 calories
Chop the onion and the bell pepper finely. Place a large pan on the stove top and crank it up to med-high, add the olive oil and once it’s hot you can add the onion and bell pepper. Stir every few minutes until the onion and bell pepper are soft. Add the turkey breaking it up with your spatula, once it’s browned drain the mixture of all the fat. Add in all the spices, the beans and ⅔ cup of water. Bring the heat down to med-low and stir every so often, once the water is absorbed about 15-25 minutes your done.
The tortillas have a lot of calories, so try to have only one, but load it up with the meat mix and all the toppings. The topping are only 36 calories per serving TOTAL! That is a TBSP of Greek yogurt, 2 slices tomato, ½ cup lettuce, 3 TBSP salsa and 3 jalapeno slices. The first serving has already been added to the total, but you can double all this up and your total calories would come to 328.
Have leftovers? Make my Game Day Nachos, they are delicious and easy!
I recently found an all natural Taco Seasoning, as I prefer to make my own I still keep some of this on hand for quick meals.